Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Keep Oracle Database with Data Guard or EMC/SRDF? (Oracle 10g and EMC SAN)
Keep Oracle Database with Data Guard or EMC/SRDF? [message #309498] Thu, 27 March 2008 13:28 Go to next message
suhong
To DBA whom have Oracle with EMC/SRDF

Company plans to implement EMC/SRDF on production, one question about SRDF on Oracle and Oracle Standby/Data Guard from mind and need your advise:

I am currently using Data Guard/Standby Database as backup to production database. If I used EMC SRDF, will I loss the standby database function for reporting?

In my understanding, SRDF is mirroring mechanism, and physical database is not supposed to logically independent from promary site database.

Therefore, I have following concern:

1. logical integrity of database, in case network failure, remote site instance status.
2. performance on database on remote site
3. network contention, is it more than log transported and applied?

If I can not gain some from EMC/SRDF, why not save the money to improve network and storage?

Thanks,

Hank
USA
Re: Keep Oracle Database with Data Guard or EMC/SRDF? [message #309529 is a reply to message #309498] Thu, 27 March 2008 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
Depends on the true requirements for SRDF. Data Guard provides protection for the database ONLY, whereas SRDF can protect the whole server. Configuring a reporting database is doable with both, but will be more seamless with Data Guard.

Check Benefits of Combining SRDF with Data Guard. It's dated material, but the technical aspect is still relevant.
Re: Keep Oracle Database with Data Guard or EMC/SRDF? [message #310256 is a reply to message #309529] Mon, 31 March 2008 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suhong
eBrian,

Thanks a lot, it is helpful, I also found this article last week, it was about Oracle 8i, any improvement made on SRDF recently?

for the reporting, there are two ways, one is read only (physical standby), another is writable (usually on a cloned database), wonder if SRDF meet both requirements?

Thanks,

Hank

Re: Keep Oracle Database with Data Guard or EMC/SRDF? [message #310299 is a reply to message #310256] Mon, 31 March 2008 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
I really can't comment on all the "new" features available with SRDF, but the limitation with SRDF is that it isn't as robust as Oracle's Data Guard with providing an "open" remote database for read/write functionality. With Data Guard and Flashback Database, putting a standby database in read/write mode and syncing it backup with the primary is rather seamless. With SRDF and BCV's this functionality is feasible too, albeit slightly more involved.

If you haven't done so already, I would recommend creating an account on EMC's site and checking out a document called "Using EMC SRDF/S and SRDF/A with Oracle8i Database, Oracle9i Database, and Oracle Database 10g". It's very informative and can provide all the details of performing these operations.

HTH
Re: Keep Oracle Database with Data Guard or EMC/SRDF? [message #313073 is a reply to message #310299] Thu, 10 April 2008 10:09 Go to previous message
suhong
eBrian,

Thanks a lot,
I will check out EMC with Oracle DB.

Hank
Previous Topic: Unable to apply the recovery in DR
Next Topic: Data Guard and TAF
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:50:26 CDT 2024