Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Replication using clustered servers and SAN partitioning - with Standard Edition
Replication using clustered servers and SAN partitioning - with Standard Edition [message #221942] Thu, 01 March 2007 03:33 Go to next message
sstellini
Hi all,

I'm not sure if I placed this question in the right forum.. if not, sorry for the inconvenience.

We are considering of a major hardware upgrade of our systems and beside others, one solution considered is to have 2 - servers clustered systems, which will run Oracle database. The idea is to provide maximum up-time of the system, so in a case of one server failing the other one will automatically take over. Also, the database will be stored on a SAN storage system, which will also be partitioned in a way that both clustered servers are using the same partition where Oracle database files are stored. We would also like to have a second partition, which will be an exact replica of the first one, and the replication will be done by means of SAN partitioning mechanism.

Now, the question is will this solution (2 clustered servers + SAN partitioning system) be covered by Standard Oracle license, or we will have to opt for an upgrade to the Enterprise System?

We would like to try and keep the current license, ie the Standard one.. of course, it is cheaper than the Enterprise ..

thanks in advance.
Sonja
Re: Replication using clustered servers and SAN partitioning - with Standard Edition [message #222197 is a reply to message #221942] Fri, 02 March 2007 04:20 Go to previous message
sstellini
Hi Dominik,

Thanks for your answer.
The specification we have for the clustered servers is: 2 servers clustered, one active, Quad-Core processor, operating system is: Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition. So we hope this should still go under 'one (active) server & one processor' license.

I'm not sure what is a difference between Oracle DB Standard Edition and a Standard one .. trying to figure out, but gosh, Oracle licensing is SOOO difficult to grasp!

Thanks for your advise.
Sonja
Previous Topic: ORA-00312 - ORA-00314 (Database Disconnect From Session)
Next Topic: How to find Dataguard Mode
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:44:57 CDT 2024