Home » Server Options » Text & interMedia » SYNC INDEX runs forever
SYNC INDEX runs forever [message #115707] Wed, 13 April 2005 15:06 Go to next message
hyarlagadda
I have oracle IFS 1.1 version on UNIX.

There are already documents existing in IFS. I loaded 35,000 new documents into IFS.
I need to do a search on the contents of these files from another application. So I need to create text indexes before I do a content search.
Now when I try to run the following to sync up indexes for new documents.

begin
ctx_ddl.sync_index ( idx_name => 'ifs_text' );
end;

it is taking forever. Once it ran for more than 24 hours and still could not never complete it. I have around 320 GB of data in 1666775 documents.

What are the ways in which I can speedup text indexing when there are lots of new documents added?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Harish
Re: SYNC INDEX runs forever [message #115986 is a reply to message #115707] Fri, 15 April 2005 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rhardman
I'm assuming this is the same person/team that posted to the OTN forum:

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jsp?forum=71&thread=299535&tstart=0&trange=15

If not, you should definitely get together...

Please do answer the questions asked if you would like some assistance. My update to the other forum was:

First try the easy things -

* Increase the memory setting in your call to SYNC_INDEX - if you are able.
* Run in parallel
* Do it off-peak hours of course

If still not acceptable, a couple of more questions will help clarify the situation some.

* How many records are pending (ctx_pending)
* Run ctx_report.describe_index and ctx_report.index_size and report those (send them to my e-mail if too big to post - Ron.Hardman@PeakRetrieval.com )

I think the remainder of my questions will be answered by the ctx_report output. If you need help on ctx_report, I have an Oracle magazine article on the subject that might help you generate the output. It is at: http://www.oracle.com/technology/oramag/oracle/04-sep/o54text.html.

-Ron
Re: SYNC INDEX runs forever [message #116001 is a reply to message #115986] Fri, 15 April 2005 18:05 Go to previous message
rhardman
Hi,

I received the logs via e-mail. Have you already tried to do the first part of my reply:

* Increase the memory setting in your call to SYNC_INDEX - if you are able.
* Run in parallel
* Do it off-peak hours of course
* Collect the # of records pending for the sync

When this is done, please post the time and # of records.

In looking at your ctx_report output it is possible to make some gains, but they are all secondary to the adjustments you can make by running in parallel and increasing memory for the task. They are adjustments for 'if still not acceptable'.

Thanks,

Ron
Previous Topic: optimizing iFS text query
Next Topic: Extending the Knowledge Base
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:35:09 CDT 2024