Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Error: ORA-1157
Error: ORA-1157 [message #54069] Mon, 28 October 2002 08:52 Go to next message
littleo
Hi all,

I am not an Oracle expert and need help to solve an error problem. Each time I attempt to start my database (I use 8i) I get the error message ORA-1157:Can not open databe. I downloaded a new data file from our claims sytem last week and everything was working fine. Now on Friday I get this message.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Little O
Re: Error: ORA-1157 [message #54077 is a reply to message #54069] Mon, 28 October 2002 12:00 Go to previous message
Trifon Anguelov
Quick check in the docs reveals this:

ORA-01157 cannot identify/lock data file string - see DBWR trace file

Cause: The background process was either unable to find one of the data files or failed to lock it because the file was already in use. The database will prohibit access to this file but other files will be unaffected. However, the first instance to open the database will need to access all online data files. The accompanying error from the operating system describes why the file could not be identified.

Action: At the operating system level, make the file available to the database. Then either open the database or do an ALTER SYSTEM CHECK DATAFILES.

Also check that your datafile mentioned in the error message is online, and the status is not BACKUP.

select file#, status from v$datafile;

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our Web site

Previous Topic: checkpoint no.
Next Topic: Speed probleme on Oracle 8.1.6 under Linux
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 20:31:01 CDT 2024