Home » Infrastructure » Hardware » How good is an ordinary pc to work as a web server? (How good is an ordinary pc to work as a web server?)
How good is an ordinary pc to work as a web server? [message #504505] Tue, 26 April 2011 03:09 Go to next message
abbee
Hello everybody.
I'm working on a university project and I need to justify some of my decisions. I'm new to networking. I'm going to post my questions in different forum topics.

Second question:

I'm using an ordinary pc as a web server.

- Intel PIV 2.6 GHZ
- 256 MB
- Intel 865GLC
- HD 40 GB
- Nic Dlink

I've been asked to justify using a machine with this specs. as a web server (Linux - SME Server /Apache).

Is it ok to use this machine as a web server? The server is for internal use, with around 70 teachers, who access the server mainly from outside to get some info from a CMS (Drupal 5.7). In case students are added (around 3000), would this server be useful?

I think it would be ideal to calculate the number of online users that the server can handle simultaneously. What variables do I need for that? What tool? How else can I support the use of this ordinary pc?

Thanks a lot.
Yersin
Re: How good is an ordinary pc to work as a web server? [message #504546 is a reply to message #504505] Tue, 26 April 2011 08:20 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
This has nothing to do with Oracle. For proper response, please post in a Drupal forum.
Actually, a P4/256M Intel is too old even to be used as a reliable PC. You can definitely install a CMS/Mysql/Webserver but I would not expect it to be working reliably (and fast enough) to support your requirements.
Previous Topic: World Record TPC-H Benchmark Result: Oracle DB 11g on M9000 (SPARC servers running Solaris)
Next Topic: Oracle to buy SUN Microsystems
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:48:51 CDT 2024