Home » Server Options » Data Guard » getting back to maximum availabilty
getting back to maximum availabilty [message #323724] Thu, 29 May 2008 05:53 Go to next message
vijaychauhan
hi!
My production database 10.2 on windows 2003 is having a Data Guard with maximum availabilty. when I,
select protection_mode, protection_level from v$database,
it gives maximum availabilty, resynchronization. I want resynchronization to get back to maximum availability, please suggest how to get it back.
Re: getting back to maximum availabilty [message #323862 is a reply to message #323724] Thu, 29 May 2008 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
There would appear to be a gap in the logs applied. Check V$ARCHIVED_GAP on the standby.
Re: getting back to maximum availabilty [message #324030 is a reply to message #323862] Fri, 30 May 2008 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vijaychauhan
The gap is not present anymore the latest archives are also applied. The applied archive is current archive log sequence minus one, it still shows resynchronization.
what can be the issue.
Re: getting back to maximum availabilty [message #324067 is a reply to message #324030] Fri, 30 May 2008 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
Does "alter system switch logfile" create any errors in the alert log on the primary or standby? Do you see any current errors in V$ARCHIVE_DEST_STATUS?
Re: getting back to maximum availabilty [message #324400 is a reply to message #324067] Mon, 02 June 2008 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vijaychauhan
hi!
Is there any way to know if the LGWR is not writing the transactions on the DataGuard standby redo logs as it is being commited on the primary, when the database is in maximum availability.
Re: getting back to maximum availabilty [message #324457 is a reply to message #324400] Mon, 02 June 2008 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
I tell ya what, you don't want to answer questions posed to you, then I won't answer yours !
Re: getting back to maximum availabilty [message #324473 is a reply to message #324457] Mon, 02 June 2008 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vijaychauhan
hi!
sorry ebrian
actually i just went to the client to rebulid the datagurad, now i do not have access to the client site, it is not at the same location as i am, i have to get the information through the developer working on the site, i hope you understand the situation. Also we are working at different time zones.
Re: getting back to maximum availabilty [message #324547 is a reply to message #324457] Tue, 03 June 2008 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vijaychauhan
hi!
the alertlog of primary does not show any error, but the alertlog of standby says that primary database is in maximum performance mode.

also the output of the following query is as follows

SQL> select dest_id, status, type, database_mode, recovery_mode, protection_mode
, destination, srl, synchronization_status, synchronized, error from v$archive_dest_sta
tus;

1 VALID LOCAL OPEN IDLE MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE E:\archive\PROD NO CHECK CONFIGURATION
2 VALID PHYSICAL OPEN_READ-ONLY MANAGED MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE SPROD NO CHECK CONFIGURATION
3 UNKNOWN LOCAL OPEN IDLE MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE E:\archive\PROD\alt_prod NO CHECK CONFIGURATION
4 INACTIVE LOCAL OPEN IDLE MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE NO CHECK CONFIGURATION
5 INACTIVE LOCAL OPEN IDLE MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE NO CHECK CONFIGURATION
6 INACTIVE LOCAL OPEN IDLE MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE NO CHECK CONFIGURATION
7 INACTIVE LOCAL OPEN IDLE MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE NO CHECK CONFIGURATION
8 INACTIVE LOCAL OPEN IDLE MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE NO CHECK CONFIGURATION
9 INACTIVE LOCAL OPEN IDLE MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE NO CHECK CONFIGURATION
10 INACTIVE LOCAL OPEN IDLE MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE NO CHECK CONFIGURATION

Re: getting back to maximum availabilty [message #324622 is a reply to message #323724] Tue, 03 June 2008 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vijaychauhan
any help or directions is highly appreciated.
Re: getting back to maximum availabilty [message #324949 is a reply to message #323724] Wed, 04 June 2008 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/
Please read & follow posting guidelines as stated in URL above

Hmmmm.....
Interesting observations.
Until researching your post I was unaware of the difference between protection_mode & protection_level.
They are the same for me & I found no documentation to explain how or what changes protection_level.
Does Primary node think more than 1 standby node exists?

16629, 00000, "database reports a different protection level from the protection mode"
// *Cause:  The actual protection level supported by the standby database
//          was different from the protection mode set on the primary
//          database. This was likely caused by redo transport problems.
// *Action: Check the database alert logs and Data Guard broker logs
//          for more details. Check the redo transport status. Make sure at
//          least one standby redo transport is supporting the protection mode
//          and that the network to the standby database is working.

[Updated on: Wed, 04 June 2008 10:28] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: getting back to maximum availabilty [message #325542 is a reply to message #323724] Fri, 06 June 2008 09:42 Go to previous message
vijaychauhan
hi!
the protection mode is the maximize availability that we set in mount stage and protection level is the actual mode that it is currently, like if the network goes down then it goes to maximum performance level.
but in my case the network is never down, also there is just one DataGuard instance that is configured, and it is receiving all the archives. Also the alert log of DataGuard says that the primary is in maximum performance mode, while the alert log of primary says that the primary database is in maximum availability.
Previous Topic: error after creating physical standby
Next Topic: How Archivelogs applies to standby database from primary
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:24:16 CDT 2024